In my last post, I mentioned that I had left the church I had gone to for almost half of my life and that I had been on the quest to find a new church. I decided that I wanted to do a post about why it’s important to find another church after leaving a previous one.
You might be like me and you miss having the God feeling in your heart and you want that back.
But maybe you were hurt before and you want to give up because you don’t want to get hurt again. Here is why it is important to keep going to church:
- You’re seeking God. Whether you’re at the one church you’ve at your whole life or you’ve been at ten different churches, you constantly are seeking God no matter what. It doesn’t matter what church you go to, but it’s through the church that you seek God.
- You’re not okay. If you took a look at yourself right now and where you’re at with God, would you say you’re okay? There’s always more to find in the kingdom of God! Seek him!
- You won’t lose touch. Without going to church, we say we’re going to do all the things we can do in church outside of church. For example, we say “I’m going to read my Bible at the this time” and “I can listen to this podcast”. Here’s what happens most times: When we don’t go to church, we often start putting those things off. “I’ll listen to that podcast later” or “I’m busy now, so I’ll read my Bible later.” We start putting it off and before we know it, we have put God off and don’t even know who He is anymore.
- You learn something new. Nowadays, we hear sermons that are life-changing. Sermons might have crazy titles, but they have powerful messages. There is always something that can be learned in a sermon that goes far beyond what we could ever imagine!
- You don’t get the same experiences. If we don’t attend church and listen to podcasts and watch sermons, we are not getting the experiences that church is supposed to provide. Church is about worshipping, seeking, serving, and finding God through prayer, along with a community of people. You are given the opportunity to grow with God with friends and your Christian community and that is a powerful thing. Listening to a podcast at home in our pajamas does not do church justice!
There is no excuse for not going to church that can’t be answered. We’re not perfect, but that’s the beauty of God’s unconditional love. God is constantly coming to us in our lives, in our cities, in our communities, and in our homes. The least we can do is visit Him in His home.